9.06.2005


I think I was made for the tropics. . . In the middle of August, I spent 3 days in Okinawa (a group of islands in the far south of Japan) with my friend Naomi. I've known her since I first started teaching in Osaka, when she was my student, and we quickly became good friends. We definitely enjoyed the chance to relax, swim in the beautiful, clear water (it really does look like the postcards!!) and even went to her relatives' place for supper one night! Included in our tour (yeah, it's basically the only way to travel out here -- much cheaper, and you can choose if you want planned activities or pick your own) was a boat ride out to a deserted island about an hour away from the main island. We spent a few hours there, exploring the island and enjoying the water (watching the fish, just using my goggles, was fascinating. . . I even saw a little "Nemo" in his anemone, while a bigger fish -- his dad?! -- fended off other fish from getting too close. . . I felt like I was in the movie or something!) We also visited "Manzamo", some cliffs a few hours away from our hotel, and were treated to a beautiful island sunset on the way home. . . Okinawa is an interesting place with a pretty colourful history. . . Since it used to be an independent country, the people have retained a common identity through their customs, food and language that is different from the rest of Japan. Of course, as a popular travel destination for "mainlanders", the younger generations also speak standard Japanese. After WWII, the American army also occupied these islands, and still operate a huge base there. People here also boast the longest lifespan in the world (lots of people living over 100) -- apparently due partly to their love of "goya". . . a vegetable that somewhat resembles a very bumpy cucumber, but is usually sliced and boiled before eating. . . and it's very bitter!! But, they also eat a lot of pork -- I had the chance to sample shredded pig's ear (with some kind of spicy seasoning) that they eat as a snack! I didn't tell them what we use pigs' ears for at home. . . :-s So, yeah, it was an interesting and good experience -- that ended with one last fleeting glance at the tropical waters from my plane window. . . Posted by Picasa

No comments: