4.30.2006

how pretty!

the pride and joy of the Japanese -- their breath-taking cherry blossoms! I have to admit that even though I too was taken by these blooms, it still did (and does) puzzle me the extent to which life here practically revolves around them. Recently, in talking with some of my students, I feel like I caught a glimpse of deeper understanding of the significance of the blossoms. . . their "fleetingness". And it is this bittersweet reality that the Japanese are both incredibly sensitive to, and highly revere. And in that aspect of being aware of the world around them, I'd say they are incredibly perceptive.
Moe and I at her kindergarten entrance ceremony :-) Children in Japan usually attend kindergarten (totally separated from elementary school) for 2 years, although in circumstances where the mother is working or going to have another baby (as in my friend Chiharu's case), the kids can start as early as age 3 or younger. Since Chiharu's husband is in the States on business, I got to join all the dads and videotape the ceremony. . . ;-)
After the ceremony, the four of us (Chiharu, Hikaru and Moe) spent some time walking around the park, eating our ice cones, and enjoying the cherry blossoms.
"So, this is love. . ." The big day -- giving a Japanese sermon -- what an interesting, difficult, fun, challenging and rewarding experience. It ended up being longer than I thought, but it's a little harder to "shave off time" by talking faster in another language!! All I have to say is praise God for His faithfulness!
Our Easter celebration at the church -- we spent time playing games, singing, and then retelling the Easter story. The kids coloured and the adults put together their thoughts in order to describe each part of the story. It's so exciting to see these times of growing and learning together!

2 comments:

Stefi said...

SWEET! more photos! haha looks like fun...I couldent think of starting kindergarden so young..mind you i guess it would be like us going to pre-school?!

the flowers are so pretty! i cant think of anyplace in canada that you can see flowers that "alive" i mean we have pretty ones but still!

Takc care karis!

Ciao,
Love,
Steph
<3

Cordella said...

They are absolutely beautiful! (the blossoms I mean!). I absolutely love hearing from you, your stories are great!!