8.31.2005


Welcome to the ultimate in "meet & greet" social events. . . As missionaries attending the annual Karuizawa Summer Missionary Conference (in a city that has been greatly impacted by the presence of missionaries -- could I use that word any more?!), we were also given the "privilege" (??) of invitation to the big summer gala (along with all the important figures / big wigs in the area). Having not understood this before leaving for our trek out to the mountains, I can fairly say I was "underdressed" for the occassion, not to mention just slightly younger than about 95% of the guests (the 5% being the Hiebert kids), and not quite feeling like I "blended in". Although, upon encouragement from one of the conference leaders urging us to initiate conversation with business people as a great way to share about why we are here in Japan, I did manage to "target" and strike up conversations with a couple of people. On an interesting note, I learned from the website designer for Karuizawa that they hold a curling tournament here every year in February -- "mezurashii!!" (I can't imagine that happens too many other places in this country) So, that was his first connection to Canada -- what can I say, just doing my job as an ambassador for my country?!  Posted by Picasa

No comments: