12.09.2005

So, everybody here thinks that. . .

. . . just because I'm from Canada, the fall leaves here must pale in comparison. . . I beg to differ -- and can you argue? Seriously, the brilliant colours covering the mountainsides, and the fact that you can find every shade from green to deep crimson on the same Japanese maple sometimes is incredible to me. I still love my Manitoba, but. . .

My parents and I spent a week travelling together, taking in some of the sights (lots of Japanese gardens -- you can't help but appreciate the Japanese attention to detail and beauty, and intensive labour!), enjoying the hot springs here (yes, the ones without bathing suits!), putting my "translation skills" to the test. . . :-s, visiting some students and friends they met last time in Osaka, including my "Japanese parents" (I'm being well "taken care of" here too!).
Some of my students felt mom and dad should get in on traditional culture and bought some 2nd hand kimonos for them (afterwards they explained that actually the one my dad is wearing is "underwear" :-b) Being a young person and teaching a high percentage of people closer to your parents' ages than your own, it's understandable they're interested in meeting those who brought such a wonderful human being into the world (that, or finding out some dirt that you'd been able to supress so well with no intereferance from the "other world" -- ie. Canada). (Actually, I do sometimes end up making "liberal generalizations" about "Canada" -- well, when they look on you as the expert, it is a pretty big boost to the self-esteem -- and was "corrected" the other day when my dad was listening in on one of my conversations -- so much for that "image". . .) Either way, we sure felt the immense kindness and warm hearts from students, as we visited together in class, and got together for a (sukiyaki) party one night.

One of the reasons I love Toyota is the fact that within a few minutes' walking disatance from my house I can find trails up into the mountains. . . you just don't get that in Osaka. So, when we hiked up to this lookout point nearby, we were rewarded with an amazing view of the area! Can't help but praise our amazing Creator! It's already the middle of December, but there are still leaves on the trees here. . . definitely makes winter feel shorter! But, I'm glad I'll at least be back to enjoy a "white Christmas" again this year. . .

3 comments:

Stefi said...

Bah I’ jealous! ..THATS IT I QUIT WINTER!.. The leaves are so pretty!...OoO the hot springs….ours are so far away….(Alberta bah!!!!...) who needs a bathing suit! LOL you sure are lucky to be so close to so many pretty things outside…and to be able to walk through the mountains etc. even in Calgary you have to drive some before you get to them….and on a clear day they look so close but yet they aren’t! woot white Christmas…hope its not TOO cold here!...but yet as much as we all complain about the weather and snow here I really don’t thing that winter and Christmas would be the same without it!

take care karis!
lv,
Steph

Sharon said...

Karis, I'm so excited that you'll be home for Christmas! Can't wait to see you!

Cordella said...

Karis, Sharon told me yesterday that you are coming home for Christmas!!!!! I am really excited for you and I hope I get the chance to see you!!:) I hope you have safe travels and I'm glad you are coming home, if even for a little bit!!!!!!!!!!!