6.28.2006

Happy birthday Canada. . .

Ok, so I know it's a few days early. . . but some of my students asked about what we usually did for Canada Day -- get together, have a BBQ, eat a cake with a maple leaf made out of strawberries on the top (if you get the "Kraft Kitchen" magazine, you'll know what I'm talking about), watch fireworks maybe. . . bottom line, basically a good excuse for a party, eh? So, that's what we did -- Canadian style in Japan!! (first time I've used a BBQ here -- it's usually veggies, seafood, and meat on a grill over charcoal). I was pretty intent on it being "realistic", so I asked the students to bring either a snack (ie. chips) or a drink. . . we ended up with boiled beans, chicken nuggets, lots of cherries and grapes, oranges, some small ice cream balls. . . one canister of Pringles look-alikes (chili pepper flavour) and some drinks! ;-) It was interesting to see them try raw veggies and dip, but I don't think they quite got the idea since I heard one guy explained it to another student as "stick salad" -- because of the shape of the veggies??!
I invited all of my adult students, and about half of them came. I usually have one of these "get togethers" about every 3 months, and it's a lot of fun to just connect more casually, eat and laugh together. I'm so thankful for Keiko (in the red) who has been attending my classes for about a year. . . she's a lot of fun, and ended up getting the gas for the BBQ even though the tank had actually expired!! She's also a member of the church here and comes to the classes more for the chance to get to know the students and develop friendships than the learning English part. It's so great to see that happen and her desire to reach out in that way! :-)
Checking to see if the hamburgers are done yet. . .
and other preparations (as you can tell, I was strictly the "supervisor" and "go-to" person. . . ;-)
Don't worry, I have definitely not forgotten my identity. . . actually I feel like I have a pretty big role out here representing all you Canadians back home (I apologize in advance for any strange opinions my students / friends may have formed, ignorantly supposing me to be an "average" Canadian :-) We listened to "O Canada", learned about maples, Anne of Green Gables (they probably know more than me, though -- they love her out here!), the Canadian Pacific Railway and Terry Fox, watched the "I am Canadian" ad in the intermediate / advanced classes, and the kids sang "Happy birthday Canada" -- hey Canada, here's to you!

7 comments:

Kathy said...

"Stick salad" eh? I'm liking that one very much, I'll have to keep it in mind for future reference.

Happy Canada Day, Karis!

Stefi said...

Happy Canada day to you too! I work canada day but i think after work my friends and i may go to "ass park" and watch the fireworks.

Looks like a blast...woot go partys...mmm....party's....

okay anyways,
reading about all the food has made me hungry..so im off to eat!

Take care,
Steph

Anonymous said...

Yeah Canada!!!!! How I miss the homeland!!

Sharon said...

Hey, Karis! Sorry I haven't gotten back to your email yet...I was going to and now I can't get into my in-box.
Anyways, I'm glad to hear that you're showing off a bit of our culture! And as for the "karaoke weekend", I'm planning to be there!
Happy Canada Day!

Anonymous said...

Hi Karis,
Happy Canada day. We celebrated at Clear Lake with flags and camping, and smores around a great fire, and watched fireworks.
Looking forward to hearing more stories firsthand in August.
Praying for you.
Elaine.

KristinM said...

HEY KARIS, LOOKS LIKE YOU GUYS AND GALS HAD A LOT OF FUN! I THINK KATHY AND I SHOULD START A NEW TRENDY NAME FOR VEGGIES STICKS AND DIP OVER HERE! ANYWAY HAPPY CANADA DAY!P.S SARALYNN AND I ARE GETTTING TOGETHER TOMMOROW TO DISCUSS OUR TRIP.

Anonymous said...

We didn't notice that much for Canada Day out here. On the 29th of June we saw the Canada Day fireworks at the Peace Gardens. Your party looks very creative!!!
Looking forward to seeing you and hearing about your work in Aug.
Emmy