1.04.2007

so I promised more pictures. . .

we're back in Shanghai here. . . with the major mode of transporting goods, it seems, as being the bicycle!! I was constantly amazed at how much they seemed to be able to stack onto those things, and get around in the crazy traffic! Junko and I actually took in the Shanghai "circus", a show of Chinese flexibility (women who could bend in completely unnatural positions and form creations out of their bodies), juggling hats, balancing plates on the top of wire sticks, jumping through metal rings, up to 10 women riding on one bike at the same time, and 5 guys on motorbikes in a metal cage on stage, 4 riding horizontally, and one vertically (I almost couldn't watch. . . :-s)
One morning, while Junko was having her pictures taken at a studio where you can put on a China dress, and have your make-up and hair done, I took a walk around the neighbourhood. (briefly considered getting my picture taken too, but figured the hair pieces wouldn't blend too well, and the thought of time by myself to explore was just way too exciting!) After having spent nearly 2 days in mainly "tourist attractions" and eating at famous and/or classy places, I was ready to just see a bit of "normal China" -- the one that the real people live in. It was probably the best part of the trip for me. Just blocks away from the brand name shops and department stores is a different world, where the people live in tiny, dark and dirty dwellings along the alleyways. Felt a little like I was "prying" with my nice warm clothes, and camera in hand. . . it's different to see it in real life and not pictures in a magazine. I caught this shot of a grandpa with his prized little one. Because of the only-child law, you sure don't see many children relative to the whole population.
The Chinese garden we visited was almost too much for words -- spectacular little angled bridges running over the carp-filled ponds, roof-ends twisting up to the sky, the ruddy colours mixed with stone, tile, dragon head statues and unique round doorways and windows to peek into such a fascinating little world.
The first night we had supper in this area -- full of shops housed in buildings created in the traditional Chinese style. It was a beautiful place to be, especially at night, as we enjoyed our steamed Chinese meat buns, butter fried spinach, shrimp and pepper dish, fried rice. . .
At the end of the walk through a small market area, we were met by this pretty surprise!

1 comment:

The Art of Being Frank said...

Hey COol Pictures. How do I add you to my blog? Email me.