2.28.2007

spring has come. . . :-)


Well, not that we ever really had "winter" here -- seriously, it's been so warm here. Last year I remember my feet freezing under my desk while I tried to work on the computer. This year not only is it a lot nicer, but I've gotten smarter and moved my computer to the table, and type while sitting on the hot carpet. (Why didn't I think of this last year?!)
I went to this park on Monday afternoon. I heard about it from a friend at church. She said it was tucked into a residential area, but gave me directions, and true to the Japanese love for nature, there were a lot of people there!!
And it was soo beautiful!! I know the cherry blossoms are famous here, and they are really incredible, I really enjoy the plum blossoms as well. For one thing, the fact that they bloom already in February is pretty exciting for a Manitoban. . .
. . . and they smell soo wonderful!! Seriously, I want to wear a necklace of them, or find some way to "bottle" the smell so I can carry it with me. Reminds me of when I was younger and the lilacs out behind my house. Those things are potent!! :-)
There were all different colours and kinds of trees, including the weeping plum trees.
Japanese people often enjoy picnics under the blossoms. I thought it was neat how this playground is completely surrounded by the flowering trees!

Since Japanese people love nature so much, things like stationary, traditional desserts and even ads use themes from nature. This picture reminds me of the way plum blossoms are often drawn in pictures, or on pottery.

Recently I've been trying to read a Psalm in the morning to focus my mind on praising God -- and to remind me just how AMAZING He is. This morning I read,
"Praise be to the Lord, for He has heard my cry for mercy.
The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped.
My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to Him in song." Ps. 28:6-7
May He be the joy of our hearts and the strength we rely on, as we trust in Him.

4 comments:

Stefi said...

Here i will freeze my feet instead of you yours! lol

Very pretty, we till got the snow out here. mind you its was nicer now than 2 weeks ago. very sluchy too.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful scenes, Karis. Thanks. An encouragement for us in being reminded of the spring beauty that we'll enjoy in another couple of months. Right now, we're expecting a major storm in southern Ontario within a few hours, with snow first, followed by ice pellets and then freezing rain. Make you feel good about what's in your photos? Thanks, too, for the heart-cheering scripture. His worth of our praise can never be exhausted. Blessings.

Sharon said...

Absolutely beautiful!!!

Unknown said...

Karis,

Beautiful flower pics! Thanks for the email updates! Missin' talkin' with you on Skype .... maybe, oneday, we'll make this work!

Kev-N