4.10.2007

will I never learn?!??

Yes, this is Karis. . . the freaking GIANT!! :-s I get so used to the height difference that I don't really notice until I look at the pictures afterwards. . . Hopefully this will be a lesson for next time (to get as far away from the camera as possible!!) This is in a Japanese garden I went to with one of my classes last week.
And this is our lunch. . . notice the "menu" on the plate. There were about 20 different kinds of food (albeit mostly "bite-sized" or smaller), each with it's own distinct flavour, texture, and arranged artistically using tiny little ceramic dishes, a long wooden tray, and accentuated by these coloured "wire cords" in the middle. It was the "special dish" for Girls' Day (you're probably vaguely remembering me mentioning this in a previous post -- this time it's according to the lunar calendar. . . making the most of it!!). . . and they "sucked us in" by saying that it was the only day they were serving this fancy lunch. How lucky! ;-) I have never eaten such elaborate and refined cuisine in my whole life as in this country! (It was not only beautiful-looking, but delicious too!)
Everything is NEW!!! A Japanese maple in the garden, it's branches emerging with fresh green!
A couple of pictures from the Kids' Easter party at church last Saturday afternoon. It was mostly the kids from church, and 2 of my students came with their little sister. It was fun to hang out, sing some songs, play games (musical chairs :-), have an egg hunt, and talk about the love that Jesus came to give us. . . the "missing piece" if we don't have Him in our hearts.
Amazing how you end up seeing things in a new way, or realizing something simple you'd never thought about before when you get the chance (or have to ;-) teach it. I always think it would be great if something that I said might stick in the kids' hearts and stay with them no matter what the future has to hold or the experiences they will encounter. But, really, maybe the one I need to remember is me, that I will let those simple truths just soak into my being. . .

3 comments:

Stefi said...

Look up... WAYYYY up! Ha Ha sorry just had to!
Look at all that food. i cant think of anywhere here in canada u can get anything look like that and put together so nice.!
haha i didnt have to egg hunt this year. nor last year. i was at work...so it was all in a bag for me when i got home. and last year my sis found it for me! haha

Well sounds lik eyou have had a good Easter

Take care,
Steph

Sharon said...

What do people comment on more? Your height or your white skin? (or are the Japanese more delicate when it comes to comments about physical appearance?)
Anyways, you're just lovely! :)

karis said...

thanks honey :-) right back at you!! definitely my height, but I wouldn't say they're more sensitive or delicate about that stuff. . . The funny thing is that here they often say "wow, you're big" when they really mean tall (doesn't feel quite the same, though! :-s) I've heard, "you have such a tall nose" and "you have nice white skin", both meant as compliments, though. . . what about ecuador??