1.29.2006

Ureshii na!!

(Literally, I'm happy! Probably gives you a hint as to why there's so much "nonsensical" English around here. . . the two languages are just VERY different!!)
The reason why I'm happy, well, one of them is, this weekend I bought daffodils!! Aren't they cute?! I've been meaning to put something in my pots for a while, and since my outdoor plant died while I was home at Christmas, I decided to go to the home centre to see what I could find. . . and so spring has arrived (at least inside my little house! :-)


Another exciting thing that happened today was. . . all of the "foreigners" -- ie. the Hiebert family and I -- got to wear kimonos!! Two older ladies from church have been working so hard at getting everything ready (including asking numerous people and a rental place if they happened to have a kimono long enough for a 183 cm tall girl -- we ended up giving up ;-), but it's only noticeable in the sleeves!!). Then, two of their friends came to help put the kimonos on us this morning (it's quite a process -- what I'm wearing in this picture was my "underwear" -- 3 layers before you actually get the kimono on!) Making sure everything is in the right place, getting the bottom to lay nicely, and the obi (belt) tied is something that, these days, most Japanese people can't do on their own, and rely on special "dressers" for these kinds of occassions (which, are happening less and less).

My church family -- at least, those who were there this morning! Funny how we are dressed in traditional Japanese garb, and it's the Japanese who came in jeans! The Hiebert family and I in front (L-R): Trenton(12), Brandon(17), Laurence, Leona, and Cambria (15).

Cambria and I showing off the obi in the back of our kimonos. . . notice how Cambria's kimono has long-sleeves (for young women who aren't married) and the bow is tied up (hard to see in this picture). Here they often refer to young women "older sister" and a little bit older (30s-50s) as "aunt", even older becomes "grandma". It's the same for men. So, I was joking with everyone that I had already gotten "promoted" to the "aunt" style of obi tying -- no longer "cute and fun". . . ;-)


Just me (and my camera) -- having a little fun at my house! Definitely a special memory. . .

5 comments:

Sharon said...

I love dressing up in clothes from other countries--for me it was the saris in India. Definitely feels more elegant than NA attire!

Stefi said...

I almost never dress up...like it was a fight for grad alone. but looking at the photos it would be very interesting to have something like that on!

OOO spring :P lucky duck!

Anonymous said...

That looks like so much fun. I love traditional clothes from other countries. We miss out on a lot of that here in North America. Kristin

Cordella said...

I loved seeing all the pictures!! Especially the ones of home. It was sooooo good to see you and it looks like you had a great time at home as well!! :) I can't wait to see more pictures (anymore special holidays needing three layers of clothing??).

Stefi said...

Hey hun,
thanks for the note
yes i am starting to get buah about the surgery.Im sure it wont be all to bad...when i get home from it though(either same day or shen the pain meds get taken off) i will let you know how it goes.
glad you got the letter!
weird about the link. i dont even know if i set eberything up yet on mine! ops!
take care,
talk to you soon
Lv yah