2.08.2006

One year already?!?


Ok, so this is actually a few days late, but my "1 year anniversary" in Toyota was Saturday the 4th. Hard to believe I had no idea who these people were only 369 days ago. I was thinking back about how I had pictured things would be, before I arrived that evening last February. I was excited, but incredibly nervous about living with a family here for a month, not the least of which was having to use Japanese!! (Despite my "best intentions" about studying in Canada. . . I think I did about once!) It's pretty important to use the "right language" especially in a situation where I would basically be "indebted" to the family here for letting me stay with them. But everything changed when, within about 1/2 an hour after getting inside the house, Chiharu started talking to me in very friendly, casual Japanese. . . something I hadn't expected! I learned to quickly get used to listening (since Chiharu likes talking ;-), sharing about myself, being part of a Japanese family and immersed in "kids' talk" (with a 2 and 4 year-old) for the first time.
The other day I went to her place for lunch. We laughed, shared what's been going on, I made a dumb mistake in Japanese (said that Martha was sitting "under" Jesus instead of "down" at his feet, and we laughed about that. . .), prayed together, and couldn't believe how soon she had to go and pick up Hikaru (her son) from kindergarten. So, today I reflect especially on what a blessing Chiharu has been in my life -- God gives us family even "far from home", and she is most definitely a sister at heart.

2 comments:

Stefi said...

its hard to belive its already been a year....wow that went FAST!

Take care!

Tam said...

Congrats on a year!! My best friend just left for someplace close to Tokyo...maybe you guys could hang out heehee....just like when people ask if you know so and so from Canada. :)
How long are you staying in Japan?