2.26.2006

What do you think??

So, I have a question for you all. This Friday I'm going to be speaking during the chapel time at the school that Cambria and Trenton (Hiebert) go to. My theme is DOUBT. Yeah, not quite the typical fare. But, it's something I think I needed to hear when I was their age (grades 5 to 9). I remember once in youth Sunday School being asked if we ever had doubts about our faith. . . I was the only one who raised their hand. Is it just me, or are we really "discouraged" from doubting, almost as if it's akin to sin at times? I agree that doubt can be a threat to faith, especially depending on what we do with that doubt. On the other hand, I know that if I didn't have questions and seasons of doubt that I wouldn't have the real faith that, by God's amazing grace, I am daily blessed and encouraged by.
I was looking for the reflections of others on the topic, when I found these:
"Faith which does not doubt is dead faith" - Miguel de Chamuno
"Doubt isn't the opposite of faith; it is an element of faith" - Paul Tillich
I'm interested to hear what your thoughts are. . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

whops logged in as worng user lol ooooolllllldddddd one.... eek!
Steph

Stefi said...

aw-yeah (schweet)I finally got in...30th times a charm...and in as the right person this time too.

okay anyway like I tried to post b4...

First things first I think its an awesome topic to talk about...one that is not done often enough

I think that doubt can very much be brought on by society and its having to have things so they make scene almost “perfect” ...if there’s no scientific logic to to things than they just seam to not believe it or that there was even a chance that it could have even happened. I find that people (can) think that with science as it is today… “how could these things have happened” (in the bible and everything to do with religion almost) .the events don’t essentially “line up” and…that Certain events don’t have logical scene...but in reality I feel they are reading to far in to it. it doesn’t have to make scene to have happened. But it can be hard to see this

however, saying that regardless…there's always going to be some form of doubt, its not necessarily wrong to doubt..... i mean everyone does it at one point or another. But I think it helps you in the long run.....as long as you can find your way back, and don’t get all "caught" up in things...

so yeah I don’t know how much sense that makes…it did in my head lol

take care karis,
lv,
Steph

Cordella said...

I totally love the topic, if it is not safe to question within the Christian community, we will go looking for answers outside of it!