2.12.2006

What's for dinner??

Any guesses on this one? Well, since I got a Japanese cookbook (written in English) for my birthday, I decided that I should at least try something. . . while getting the ingredients was in a part of the grocery store I had never really explored before, the finished product was pretty good. So, if any of you are interested in this seaweed (black pieces), mushroom, and fried tofu dish, (I forgot the carrots, ironically!!) you know where to go. (But don't worry, Bob, I won't make you eat it!!)


And for dessert, if you "still" have an appetite, you might try out the. . . "Unbelievable" (yes, that was the name of it -- though it's a bit of a stretch to understand the Japanese version of "English" at times). It was a pretty amazing, glorified (even though we went for the 2 litre reduced whip cream version) parfait. Our eyes were a little bigger than our stomachs, though, as our stomachs started to feel it by the time we got past all the "toppings" (and to the real ice cream). Nevertheless, definitely an adventure! (with L-R Chiaki from church, Cambria Hiebert and Grimi - Korean girl that comes to youth)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how do you rate that dessert in comparison to Pyramids at the Saskatoon Inn?

Stefi said...

sounds like a lot of fun i dont dont know about the food though. sugury went well my sisters typing this for me because i cant get up yet. and my mouth looks like i was beat up. ill email you later
lv,
steph

karis said...

good question rach -- definitely brought me back to good old Bethany days. . . I don't know if anything could live up to that! (To tell you the truth, either we had bigger appetites back then, or this one was just too darn massive!!) ;-)

Anonymous said...

Yes Karis,

That MONSTEROUS "Pyramid" look-alike appears to be more than 4 or 5 should even attempt.

What fun you're having ... I'll have to stop drooling, as I too am longing for some icecream!

Kev-N

bob said...

When I was reading about the dish you made I immediately thought "ugh, I hope I don't have to eat that!" and then I read your comment at the end and it was like you read my mind! I think I'll bring a bunch of ichiban noodles with me and that will be cultural enough- what do you think??

karis said...

no need to bring them Bob -- there's lots of those over here!! Don't worry, I think you'll be surprised by how much you like (there is "semi-normal" things, you know! ;-)

Cordella said...

I love checking your pictures and seeing your experiences come alive! Congratulations on the one year, and I am glad to see you embracing Japanese food (even cooking it yourself!!!):)