10.09.2006

happy thanksgiving!

Although Thanksgiving isn't a holiday here (most people are not sure if or how it's different from Halloween -- just think pumpkins!) So, it gives a good opportunity for discussion in class. . . and me a whole week to prepare "what I'm thankful for" for reporting on Thanksgiving at home! ;-) I have 2 this year -- I'm thankful for the "small things" -- a note, a smile, a conversation, something that encourages my heart, and brings just a little more meaning to the day-to-day. Secondly, for second chances, praise God that He welcomes back the prodigal and the ungrateful, when they come to their senses. I am so thankful!

This past Saturday, I had the fun of going to Hikaru's sports festival again. The kids practice so much for this special day, and Chiharu told me that Hikaru was just flying high all morning before the event. . . They perform different races, dances, throwing bean bags into a net (along with their grandparents), racing in giant pants (with their mom or dad, or "fill-in" -- I went in with a girl from my English class!), adult tug of war and relay.
Just a little regroup for team spirit -- go green!

So, after the morning festival, we had a wedding -- the first ever in our church!! The couple started coming to our church at the start of this year, his family and siblings are also attending now. It was really exciting to see such a committed Christian couple get married, not as common here! I think things went pretty well (including my first shot at playing the "Bridal March" - "here comes the bride. . ." That's the most I've practice in a long time!! ;-)
That's right -- Happy Wedding. . . I really think they could care less about whether it's "real English" or not -- it's so funny how they just insert these little phrases into conversation / shop signs. . . (Isn't Moe sweet?!)
Just had to put this one in. . . any takers?!

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Karis! I definitely can say that I've been very thankful for and blessed by your friendship over the years.

Stefi said...

Happy thanksgiving.. and yes i agree with the being thanks for the small things... cause really with out the small things we couldent have the big things. Like our Friends

take care,
Steph